Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Curious

Default ASUS EEE PC 1000H or MSI WIND U100

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market and ready to purchase an Ultra-portable laptop.
I believe the 10" models are the sweet spot for small size and ease of use with the bigger display, but more importantly the bigger keyboards compared to the smaller models.

Now the dilemma, which one is the right choice???

The EEE 1000H or MSI WIND U100, I'll be choosing XP on either.
I can't find any shootouts on the net with both of these models up against each other, though I've found lots of EEE PC 900/901 vs WIND, which isn't a fair comparison.

It appears in Australia, we have a different situation regarding price for both of these units.
The EEE PC 100H has a Pre-order price of $649 and the MSI WIND has a Pre-Order price of $699, which is in reverse to what the rest of the world is experiencing.

Maybe the guys selling the Wind just want to make a bigger margin, either way I want to choose the best product.

Can anyone help with their thoughts/suggestions.

Cheers in advance.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Curious

Default Re: ASUS EEE PC 1000H or MSI WIND U100

Well, the competition between those two excellent machines is the fact one has a sold-state disk and the other, the traditional mechanical hard-drive.

If you want my opinion, I'd go with the Asus one due to the fact that SDD does not generate as much heat as the mechanical harddrives plus I can already see myself dropping a brand-new laptop
Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Zealot

I reckon the MSI wind will be usable though, yes it has a HDD but they are cheap to replace and i have never had mine break.
I could never type on the asus eee pcs, and i think the design seems a bit plastic compared to the msi wind.
I would go with the wind but then again i have been following it for a long time after my asus eee pc was sold.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Curious

btw I'm referring to the EEE PC 1000H (which is the one with the 80gb Hard Drive / not SSD)

They both have virtually the same size keyboard, being the 10" versions.
From what I have read so far, the EEE 1000H has a glossy/stylish case which will be a magnet for fingerprints/marks. The Wind is more a matte finish and wouldn't suffer this problem, as I will be going for a Black in whichever I decide to walk away with.

I wish one of the sites that have used both the EEE & WIND would do a direct comparison on quality of build / features. It appears the Atom processor is the same in both laptops, so speed should be the same.

If the price difference was huge, I'd have a clear decision, it's too close to call right now.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Tech Zealot

I think the wind will be cheaper, but i still do not think the ASUS has as big a keyboard, have you got any websites saying otherwise.
Moreover i thought the price was $599?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by staker View Post
I think the wind will be cheaper, but i still do not think the ASUS has as big a keyboard, have you got any websites saying otherwise.
Moreover i thought the price was $599?
The prices I've advised above are Australian dollars, see below...

This is the EEE PC 1000H
http://www.pcau.com/l4/ASU1045.htm

This is the MSI WIND U100
http://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_11

As for Keyboard sizes, I thought I'd read that the EEE PC 1000 had a keyboard size at 93% of a normal one and that the Wind had one at approx 85%.
Either way, they will be much easier to type on compared to the smaller EEE PC's available, I couldn't handle those on a daily basis.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Curious

I will be upgrading from my EeePC 702 end of 08 or early 09. I like the specs and looks of the Wind over the EeePC 1000H and things will hopefully have stabilized in regards to batteries and processor supplies by then.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Zealot

702 ? what is that?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to technogeekchris

I go fof the MSI Wind... It doesn't look Cheap like Asus....Eeeeeeeeee---wwww!!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 AM
Tech Curious

Personally, I would go for the EEE PC 1000H if it's cheaper than the MSI WIND U100.

Firstly the EEE PC is backed by a brand name ASUSTek, a Japanese company, and secondly it has some better features than the MSI WIND. The EEE PC comes with 2 gb RAM, wireless n, and a battery saving software that is supposed to increase battery life to 7.8 hours. I'm guessing ASUS made the claim with a six cell battery.

Sadly, that's not the case for me (The EEE PC 1000H is more expensive, as you mentioned). I also prefer the design of the MSI WIND to that of the EEE PC 901 (and up) models.

Hope that was helpful.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Curious

Initially I was very excited about the Eee PC 100H then I saw the Wind! Wow I thought this would be great. I think the Wind looks better. Then I discovered the HP Mini. It is much more expensive ($499 to over $800 USD - but the $750 seems to be the mid price point), but it is supposed to be very durable, it has a Via processor with 1 to 1.6 Ghz and 120 gb 5400 rpms to 160gb 7200 rmps hard drive available. It is running Vista Home, Business or downgradable to XP. Larger kepboard size also - 92% full size vs 80% for the Wind. It also has a larger track pad and seperate click buttons on either side of the track pad. I think this would be strange to get used to, but you would know you are clicking and not getting in the middle of the rocker and not getting a click at all. All I have read about the small track pad and rocker click button on the Wind is not liked by the testers. Oh, and the HP is available now! Just another something to look at. I am still trying to decide between the Wind and the HP. I am comparing the Wind to the HP Mini with the price of $599. Check out this web site for specs on what is available.
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/cto...eg_R1002_USEN#
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Zealot

your hp mini will be extremely slow the c7 via chips is really bad, the hp doe have a great screen but the price is not value for money. I would stick with the wind and buy the v470 mouse!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
Personally, I would go for the EEE PC 1000H if it's cheaper than the MSI WIND U100.

Firstly the EEE PC is backed by a brand name ASUSTek, a Japanese company, and secondly it has some better features than the MSI WIND. The EEE PC comes with 2 gb RAM, wireless n, and a battery saving software that is supposed to increase battery life to 7.8 hours. I'm guessing ASUS made the claim with a six cell battery.

Sadly, that's not the case for me (The EEE PC 1000H is more expensive, as you mentioned). I also prefer the design of the MSI WIND to that of the EEE PC 901 (and up) models.

Hope that was helpful.
I swear ASUStek is either Chinese or Taiwanese.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by staker View Post

I swear ASUStek is either Chinese or Taiwanese.
They're Taiwanese.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Zealot

The quality, design of the asus mini eee computers have always been for the robust and children friendly market, well the MSI wind has now taken that onboard that the t ech savvy want a laptop which looks good too as well as helps productivity.